We are looking for an innovative Embedded Software Engineer to work on the development of both embedded and end-user applications and firmware for pureLiFi’s hardware systems. The role would be ideal for someone looking to advance or kick start their career rapidly by taking direct ownership of product solutions, interfacing with customers and solving challenging technical problems.
You will make an impact by:
• Being the to go to person for all aspects of embedded software implementation.
• Support and deliver solutions to enable product and system deployment.
• Design, develop, maintain, and verify LiFi communication software applications.
• Undertake porting, integrating, customising and configuring third party device drivers and packages that constitute the LiFi system software.
• Customise and deploy low level software (e.g., bootloader and kernel) necessary to bring up proprietary hardware platforms designed in-house.
• Configure wireless and networking subsystems/protocols to deliver maximum performance and functionality.
• Work with test engineers to create verification test harnesses and systems for the verification of modules and system level solutions.
You will thrive if you:
• Enjoy being part of a close-knit team and coaching/learning from those around you but can also work independently and are hands on to solve problems as they emerge.
• Have a Bachelors/Masters in a relevant engineering discipline such as computing science or electronics engineering or relevant experience.
• Demonstrate expert knowledge of developing board support software for custom hardware platforms.
• Demonstrate expert knowledge of C/C++ and scripting languages such as BASH/Python/perl.
• Demonstrate expert knowledge of Linux kernel architecture, module development and kernel customisation.
• Have excellent knowledge of OpenWRT or similar router operating system configuration.
• Have excellent knowledge of hardware development processes and low-level protocols such as I2C, SPI, UART, etc.
• Understand source control and versioning tools (e.g., GIT and SVN) on a day-to-day basis.
• Have a good understanding of digital hardware and architecture (discrete logic, FPGA, ASIC).
• Have experience of peer code-review to ensure high quality of software design.
• Proven team-player with the demonstrable ability to work autonomously.
Bonus points if you have:
• Knowledge of Windows device drivers and networking framework.
• Knowledge of developing drivers for Android devices and for iOS devices.
• Understanding of visible light communications, LiFi technologies.
• Experience of AGILE software development practices.
We can offer you:
You will be joining a multi-disciplinary team of around 35 people based in Edinburgh. We offer:
• Flexible working arrangements with the ability to mix home and office working and compress your hours for time off on Fridays
• Competitive salary
• Performance-based Share Options so you are invested in our ongoing success
• Holiday allowance to give you time to re-energise
• Private medical insurance to keep you healthy
• Life assurance and Income Protection Insurance for peace of mind
• Pension Scheme contributions so you can save for the future
We are proud of our diversity and committed to ensuring our opportunities are accessible to all talented people. If additional support or flexible arrangements would enable you to participate, please tell us in your application.