This full time, R&D Manager role will implement the approved / agreed PLF research plan provided by the Chief Scientific Officer, collaborate with and transfer the experimental and theoretical research outcomes to the engineering teams.
Working as the R&D Lead within the Research and Development team, you will be responsible for working with the CSO to deliver research and technology outcomes and solutions in support of future products as well as the products that are currently under development.
Furthermore, you will work with the various technology development leads in research areas relevant to their specific technology streams and deliver solutions that advance pureLiFi’s technical capability.
Finally, the R&D Manager is expected to be an innovative problem solver and solution provider that takes a hands-on approach to research and development activities in addition to the nominal duties of recruiting, supervising, and mentoring the team.
The core responsibilities include but not limited to:
• Report to CSO and CEO on status of R&D activities and feed CSO technical support to project teams
• Actively generate and develop novel concepts and technologies to support the company’s technology and product roadmaps.
• Be responsible to the day to management and supervision of the R&D team members.
• Delivery technology solutions in support of PLF roadmaps and project plans
• Prepare monthly reports on status and progress of R&D Group
• Within the Leadership team of the business contribute to the strategy and operation of the business
• Prepare budget and project plans in support of the Operational Plan
• Collaborate with engineering management/leadership to continuously map the research roadmap and topics to product roadmap.
• Actively collaborate with the IP Manager to bolster the robustness of the patent portfolio and generate new patents in areas of strategic importance.
• Recruit, supervise, and mentor members of the R&D team and student placements (e.g., PhD candidates).Construct and refine lab demonstrators for the purpose of validating and characterising novel technology concepts.
• Research and actively contribute to the state-of-the-art (SoTA) technology in optical wireless communications. This includes being constantly informed about the current SoTA concepts in the field and establishing strategic relationships with relevant research organisations based around the world.
• Demonstrate an understanding of fundamental theories in optics and communications.
• Show an in-depth understanding of the fundamentals of physical layer techniques of optical wireless communication systems including techniques such as digital modulation, spatial multiplexing and wavelength division multiplexing.
• Ability to develop new algorithms and to coordinate the translation of algorithms to application specific integrated circuits (ASICs) and silicon photonics.
• Demonstrate knowledge of wireless networking concepts such as cellular topologies, multiuser access, handover and interference management.
• Demonstrate a track record of experimental research in optical wireless communications.
• Showcase the ability to develop commercially viable new ideas in the field of optical wireless communications.
• Demonstrate research leadership.
• Knowledge of programming tools and languages such as Matlab, Python, and C/C++.
• Ability to work in a cross functional team.
• Hold a PhD in Optical Wireless or Fibre Communications, Electronics, Electrical Engineering, Digital Communications Engineering, Digital Signal Processing, Applied Physics, Optics, or another similar field.
• Prior work experience in industry and/or as an active researcher in academia in the field of optical communications, wireless communications, or ideally optical wireless communications.
• Excellent analytical and/ experimental and hands-on skills.
• Good communication and leadership skills.
• Good simulation and programming skills.
• Ability to work in teams and independently.
• Academic background with substantial research experience.
• Publication/academic track record.
• Patent track record.
• Track record of delivering novel and fundamental solutions from theory to practice.
• FPGA programming skills.
• Awards and recognitions.
We can offer you:
You will be joining a multi-disciplinary team of around 35 people based in Edinburgh. We offer:
• Competitive salary
• Share Options for great performance so you are invested in our ongoing success
• Holiday allowance to give you time to re-energise
• Private medical insurance to keep you healthy
• Life assurance and Income Protection Insurance for peace of mind
• Pension Scheme contributions so you can save for the future
We are proud of our diversity and committed to ensuring our opportunities are accessible to all talented people. If additional support or flexible arrangements would enable you to participate, please tell us in your application.
Apply today with your CV and a cover email highlighting any additional information in support of your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
pureLiFi does not accept unsolicited agency CVs.