This is one of two fixed-term (36 months) positions hosted by pureLiFi under the ENLIGHT’EM (European Training Network in Low-Energy Visible Light IoT Systems) H2020-MSCA-ITN-2018 programme (https://enlightem.eu) focusing on the design of IoT systems that leverage the low baseline energy consumption of LEDs to jointly deliver lighting and networked communication. ENLIGHT’EM will explore the emerging field of low-energy VLC systems for the IoT to design and demonstrate sustainable networking solutions.
The Researcher is also expected to pursue a fully funded Doctorate (PhD) programme hosted at the University of Edinburgh’s Engineering department during the programme.
This role will focus on the analysis of existing approaches used in smart building and smart lighting, and evaluation of the applicability of these algorithms to control the LiFi access point jointly with the lighting system. LiFi connectivity requirements will be compared to those of the illumination control and categorized for further analysis and for proposing appropriate solutions. The performances of each solution will be thoroughly analysed and subsequently validated in a live LiFi network.
• 30-6-2019: Launch 15 PhD positions for 15 Early-Stage Researchers (ESRs)
• 31-07-2019: Deadline for on-line applications (or as soon as the positions are filled)
• 01-11-2019: Target starting date for ESR contracts
All applications should proceed through the on-line recruitment portal on the https://enlightem.eu website.
The core responsibilities include:
- Review of existing smart lighting and smart building control solutions and evaluation of the applicability of these algorithms to control the LiFi access point jointly with the lighting system.
- Development of new control systems and solutions that jointly optimize lighting and LiFi communication based on KPI defined by the review carried out.
- Simulate the most promising control algorithms in the first instance to gather preliminary results and refine as appropriate. Once satisfactory results the observed in simulation, apply the control system to a real environment in order to evaluate performance gains.
- Prepare patent filing submissions covering novel IP developed during the course of the programme.
- Participate in the ENLIGHT’EM network’s training programmes and secondments to partner organisations.
- Collaborate with other partner organisations of the Network.
- Ensure pureLiFi’s adherence to the terms of the programme.
Applicants need to fully respect three eligibility criteria (to be demonstrated in the CV):
1. Early-stage researchers (ESR) are those who are, at the time of recruitment, in the first four years (full-time equivalent) of their research careers. This is measured from the date when they obtained the degree which formally entitles them to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the research training is provided, irrespective of whether or not a doctorate was envisaged.
2. International mobility: ESRs are required to undertake trans-national mobility (i.e., move from one country to another) when taking up the appointment. At the time of recruitment, researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of their hiring organization for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to their recruitment. For instance, a researcher who has resided in Spain for 15 months in the last three years cannot apply to any of the three PhD positions in Spain, but can apply to the any of the other 12 PhD positions. Compulsory national service and short stays, such as holidays, are not taken into account.
3. English language proficiency: ESRs must demonstrate proficiency in both written and spoken English. This is mandatory for the ESRs to take full advantage of the training program.
This role can only be applied for on the ENLIGHTEM website. Please use the button above.